Monday, June 17, 2013

Random Thoughts While Watching Man of Steel


I rarely post movie reviews. Heck, I rarely watch movies! But the hubby and I took the kids to see Man of Steel on Father's Day. The theater was packed!

Here are my random thoughts on this blockbuster movie (no spoilers!).

1. Hello, Alaskan King Abs! (you'll get this when you see it)

2. This movie may be the loudest I've heard in a long time (maybe because we were in third row?).

 


3. Am I the only person who kept thinking that General Zod looked an awful lot like the lead singer of 3 Doors Down? I half expected him to burst into song and sing "Kryptonite" to Superman. (Remember that song? "If I go crazy, will you still call me Superman?") Here are two photos for you to compare.

4. Speaking of 3 Doors Down's "Kryptonite," I'd like to see a resurgence of that song and "Superman's Dead" by Our Lady Peace on the radio stations. Get on that radio stations! Man of Steel is huge right now! Good tunes.

5. Clark has Russell Crowe as Superman's real dad and Kevin Costner as his adopted dad. Dang!

6. I love how Diane Lane looks so real in this movie. And still pretty.

7. Also absolutely loved Amy Adams as Lois Lane. Attention males: intelligence, confidence, and loyalty are sexy to Superman. The Man of Steel.

8. I have a taste for pancakes. (again, you will have to see this to understand this one :)

9. I teared up in one scene in the movie. I'm not saying which one as not to spoil...

10. What? The "S" isn't for Superman?!

11. Henry Cavill as Superman reminded me a little bit of USA volleyball player Matt Anderson. Though without the chin dimple and 9 inches shorter (and Cavill is 6'1"!).

12. After a character remarks to her colleague about Superman, "I think he's hot," a woman behind me said loudly, "Really hot." I may have silently agreed with her.

13. Wow. Clark puts on a pair of eyeglasses and no one recognizes him? C'mon! Hannah Montana had a better disguise than that!

14. My 8 year old son asked me what me favorite scene in the movie was. So I told him the truth. "The scene where his shirt is off."

Those are my random thoughts. Do I recommend the movie? Yes. Very entertaining. The only two flaws were the Zod/Superman fight scene was a little long and not enough shirtless scenes.

Did you see the movie? Will you see it?

27 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Kelly, those made me laugh! you're right - Zod did look a little like the singer for Three Doors Down. And Amy Adams was perfect in the role of Lois Lane. Everyone was good in their roles.

DEZMOND said...

Henrylicious Cavill :) General Zod is played by Michael Shannon.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

#13 cracked me up. I'm definitely seeing this movie. I just don't know yet if it will be in the theater or as a DVD.

SA Larsenッ said...

Hilarious!!! Just want I need this morning. (Psst...woke up to find some stupid toolbar had downloaded on my laptop; apparently it's a haven for hackers. EEK!! I finally got rid of it. Phew....) So this laugh was very appropriate. THX!

Matthew MacNish said...

Does Amy Adams go shirtless? She's gorgeous.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I haven't seen this yet, but you're making me want to. I'll probably wait for the DVD.

Kelly Polark said...

Alex- I agree. Really superb casting in this movie.
Dezz- Henrylicious is right!
Stina - It seems I only go to movies at the theater that the kids really want to, and this was one!
Sheri - Glad to make you giggle, girl!! :)
Matthew - Not in this movie. Sorry, Matt!
Natalie - I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

Marcia said...

My husband and I are seeing it tomorrow. I'm a little worried about it being "the loudest." I think most movies are way loud.

Bish Denham said...

Think I'll wait til it comes out on Netflix. When Hubby and I go to the movies (which is rare) we take cotton balls to put in our ears. You can hear much more clearly while at the same time protecting yourself from damage. I highly recommend it.

Nas said...

I haven't seen this movie yet, but will definitely watch it now that you made it sound so interesting!

Thanks for posting about it!

C. Lee McKenzie said...

Haven't seen it yet. I'm waiting for my niece to visit, so we can enjoy it together.

I have to see it now after reading about those Alaskan King Abs! :-)

Lydia Kang said...

He's a hottie, no doubt about that. I haven't seen it. I heard the reviews were more lukewarm...I'll probably watch it on Netflix!

Christina Farley said...

Well, now I'm going to have to see that movie! Thanks for the recommendation.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the movie. I'll probably wait and see it when it comes out on HBO. (Yep, I'm that lame.)

Missed Periods said...

I wasn't going to see it, but Alaskan King Abs ...

Lola Sharp said...

I have loved and lusted after Henry since the beginning of the Tudors. I'm glad he's finally making it big, because...we need more giant screen HC aka Alaskan King Abs! (you killed me with this one, clever girl! *loves*)

And, OMG YES...dude DOES look like the singer for 3 Doors Down. How did I not see this...and not think of that song as a perfect tie-in?! You are brillz.

Happy Fourth of July, Kelly!
Love,
Lola

Christina Lee said...

OH, thanks for this!!! Also, *snicker* I'm loking forward to seeing it in the confines of my own living room. :D

Jemi Fraser said...

Now I'm definitely going to see it! I'm a little surprised the S isn't for Superman either - gotta see it for sure! :)

Theresa Milstein said...

I never go to movies either. I love that song Kryptonite.

Cynthia Chapman Willis said...

Great thoughts and observations--too funny. This movie was already on my list of "to see" flicks, but now it's moved up my list. Thanks, Kelly!

Susan Oloier said...

Kelly, I haven't seen the movie, but I absolutely love this review!!! You are so funny!

Tony Van Helsing said...

It's a film about a bloke from another planet who can fly and throw tanks about. Spectacles as a disguise isn't such a stretch of credibility when you look at it.

Lydia Kang said...

I haven't seen it, but looks like I got all the good highlights here. ;)
Alaskan King Abs, indeed!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Kelly, just wanted to you to know you've been missed.

Christina Farley said...

I saw Man of Steel and loved it. My favorite movie of the summer was Now You See Me. Loved that mystery.

Caryn Caldwell said...

I STILL haven't seen this one! I only had a few hours, so I did White House Down instead. It looks so good, though. I'm going to have to read your list again once I'm able to Netflix it.

Lynda R Young said...

Now I have to go see the movie just so I can find out what the 'S' does stand for!